Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Are you leading by example?

Is there a subject you are so interested in that you can't help but think about? Whatever you do, it can’t seem to get out of your head? Well, that’s what has happened to me about leadership? It is a subject that I am fond of. Hint: it was my specialization in my recent MBA - it probably increased my passion for it. 

As I studied about the subject over the years, I realized there are lots of written materials on the subject. This shows that the interest is high and rightfully so, because in one way or another we are all leaders and hopefully we aspire to be great leaders. 

I am particularly interested in leadership stories. I love stories because they have a way of connecting deeply with people and make learning more fun. Stories tend to be inspiring. 

But first, how do I define  leadership? There exists many definitions of leadership, but I prefer one that defines leadership as a complex phenomenon involving the leader, the followers and the situation. Each of these three factors is essential to fully grasp leadership; otherwise we may miss its full extent. As I share weekly posts on this subject, I intend to highlight each one of  them, through stories. 

Today, I would like to share with you, a leadership story which emphasizes an important aspect of a leader – leading by example.

Over 200 years ago, a man in civilian clothes rode past a small group of tired and battled weary soldiers. They were digging what appeared to be an important defensive position. 
The leader of the group wasn’t making any effort to help. He just shouted orders and threatened to punish the group if the work wasn’t completed within the hour. 

“Why aren’t you helping?” the stranger asked on horseback.
“I’m in charge! The men do as I tell them,” said the leader. He added "Help them yourself if you feel so strongly about it."

To the mean leader’s surprise the stranger got off his horse and helped the men until the job was finished. 
Before he left the stranger congratulated the men for their work, and approached the confused leader. 

“You should notify top command next time your rank prevents you from supporting your men – and I will provide a more permanent solution,” the stranger said.
Up close, the now humbled leader recognized General George Washington and was taught a lesson he would never forget. 


Now just picture that scene.  I can imagine how ashamed the mean leader must have felt? This was probably followed by the fear of what would happen next. 

Let's look at our own life. Can you recall being or witnessing a similar situation - both of good and mean leaders? What did you learn from them? 

As I read this, I recalled an incidence I witnessed in a hotel some years ago. As I was walking heading to the terrace, I saw the hotel manager who was standing next to a piece of paper that was on the ground– basically litter. He called out to one of the staff and ordered him to pick it up.  As he walked away before he could see if his order was executed, this person also called his junior staff and ordered him to go pick it up. I could not believe it. So I decided to ask the second man (the manager was too far off at this point) why he had not picked it up himself; he answered confidently that it wasn’t his job and that he was the supervisor to that other junior person who eventually picked it up. What could have taken seconds to be dealt with, took longer. Needless to say, the person who picked it up didn’t look pleased. He probably felt bad, there was no one under him. With such behavior and organizational culture, it is no surprise that customer service in such hotels is very poor. 

“A leader leads by example whether he knows it or not.” Author Unknown 


On the other hand, as Rwandans, we have been blessed to have leaders in our country who walk the talk. Take the policy of cleanliness. It didn’t just take a policy or an instruction; it took the example of the leaders starting from the Highest Office. Activities like Umuganda at community level where all neighbors from different social status come together to partake in a common and mutually beneficial activity, provide a great example of good leadership – leading by example. By these actions, leaders’ attitude shows that they care about the citizens. They are part of them. As a result, it is easy to be loyal to them. 

“What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” Stephen Covey 




So remember that as a leader, your best tool is to lead by example. We are all leaders in one way or another. It doesn’t take a position to be leader, it is a choice to act. So this week, try to lead by example. Remember that: 

“Leadership is action, not position” Ronald H. McGannon

Please, do share your experiences; I would love to hear from you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.