Monday, January 23, 2017

What is your 2K17 WORD?

As I began the exercise of goal setting this year, I was looking for a vision that would be short and keep me going. Nothing beats a powerful vision. And nothing beats simplicity. So I thought, how about a WORD?  What if I could have a one word vision that would carry me throughout the year? That way, I would not only remember it but it would have to transpire in every goal I set.  Wouldn’t that be great? I mean, just think about the revolutions we have witnessed around the world and just how simple words were used to drive the ideas behind

I have a dream by MLK we celebrated this week drove an entire generation fighting for equality and freedom.

Think Different by Steve Jobs brought the revolution we have today as we carry powerful gadgets in our pockets that we never thought was possible.

Just do it by Nike drives action. It has become so popular that you could just say Nike it and people would get it.

Boundaryless by Jack Welch that I recently learned about in his book “Straight from the Gut” (a very long but powerful read) provides great insights in the use of simple visions to drive positive change.

These are just few examples. They have driven individuals, communities and companies. Simple and powerful words.

So what is your Word?

Are you looking at keeping fit this year? Do you want to advance in your career and finally take that leap of faith into writing that book, starting that blog?  If your answer is yes, then your word could be MOVE or ACTION

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Are you interested in self development?  You want to finally get that MBA you have been talking about for the past two years or more? You didn’t achieve your set savings targets last year for one reason or another? You word could be ACHIEVE


“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals” Zig Ziglar 

Do you feel, you are great at starting things but not so good at finishing what you started? Perhaps you are taking on too many projects. You wanted to start a new career, post weekly on your blog, launch a business and run the marathon, but failed on most if not all? You want to avoid the frustration this year? You word could be FOCUS.

Focus like a laser, not a flashlight - Michael Jordan
My experience has shown me that it is not that easy to come up with one word as it seems at first. However the exercise helps to focus on what exactly should be different this year and what is your priority for the next 50 weeks. So if you struggle finding that word or even feel like changing after a few days, that’s fine. It is all part of the process. Once you have thought about it, choose your word and pursue it fiercely and diligently. I believe you will celebrate what you have achieved or better still who you have become by the end of this year. That’s certainly my wish.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering what my word is. It is MOVE. So next time, you see me moving around town, you will know why. I hope you get to share your WORD with me. 

I would also love to hear about your annual goals and promise to share mine as well, how about that? Drop me an email.

2 comments:

Your comments are welcome.